We are excited to meet your family, and invite you to learn more about CFIS as your child's educational home. We welcome new students and their families to the CFIS community each year.
Our application process is intended to find a mutually good fit between families, students, and the school. Our Admissions team considers each applicant’s academic record, character, and citizenship qualities. Families that find CFIS to be a good fit are committed to French immersion education, and enjoy being part of and contributing to our school community.
If you have any questions, our Admissions Team is here to help! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In our entry-level grades, Preschool, Junior Kindergarten (JK) and Kindergarten, no previous experience in French is required.
For students entering Grade 1, and for intake up to Grade 12, all applicants must be attending a francophone or French immersion school setting or be native French speakers, to make an application to attend CFIS.
To start the application process, visit the CFIS Enrolment portal.
Application dates for the 2023-24 school year
For inquiries to the 2022-23 school year, please email email@example.com. We would be happy to confirm availability in your grade(s) of interest.
All applications received prior to the application deadline will be given equal consideration, regardless of the timing of their receipt. We are excited to receive your application, and ask that you apply only in the appropriate year, not sooner.
Below are the application deadlines, including when all required documents are to be submitted.
Preschool (for students who are 3 years of age by December 31, 2023)
- Application deadline: February 3, 2023
- Assessment: February 22 or 23, 2023
Junior Kindergarten (for students who are 4 years of age by December 31, 2023)
- Application deadline: November 21, 2022
- Assessment: December 14 or 15, 2022
Kindergarten (for students who are 5 years of age by December 31, 2023)
- Application deadline: November 21, 2022
- Assessment: November 29 or 30, 2022
Grades 1 - 12
- Application deadline: February 28, 2023
- Assessment: Scheduled for after this date, upon receipt of a completed application
The admissions process varies at different grade levels, but starts with the submission of a completed application. Please complete the following steps to submit an application.
Step 1: Complete the application form and application fee payment.
Step 2: Provide supporting documents and information in the CFIS Enrolment portal.
- Upload recent head-and-shoulders photograph.
- Upload copy of birth certificate or passport.
- Upload relevant medical or educational reports, such as psycho-educational assessments, speech-language therapy reports, or occupational therapy reports.
- Enter the email address of a non-family member referee that has worked with your child. A confidential questionnaire reference form is emailed to the referee to complete by the application deadline.
- Preschool, JK, and Kindergarten applicants: Complete the early childhood development form. Parents are invited to share insights into their child's development by also completing the comment sections.
- Applicants to Grade 1 and higher: Upload French immersion or francophone school report cards. At minimum this includes the last full year report card as well as the current mid-year report card.
- Applicants to Grade 3 and higher: Student completes an applicant questionnaire in French and English.
Step 3: Participate in the admissions assessment.
A key part of the admissions process includes getting to know your child. Applicants are invited to participate in an age-appropriate and grade-level evaluation, and an interview with CFIS faculty. These take place at Calgary French & International School.
- Preschool and Junior Kindergarten applicants spend approximately an hour engaging in a group, play-based setting in a CFIS classroom accompanied by a parent.
- Kindergarten applicants spend two hours unparented in a group, play-based setting in a CFIS classroom.
- For applicants from Grades 1-12, applicants spend half a day or a full day, dependent on grade-level, in a CFIS classroom of their current grade. This process also allows them to explore some of the school's physical spaces, interact with CFIS students and teachers, witness the welcoming school community, and experience life at the school.
- For applicants to Grades 5-12, there is a virtual component to the admissions assessment that takes place before the in-person admissions visit at the school. This involves the applicant completing written grade-appropriate academic assignments in French Language Arts, English Language Arts, and Mathematiques while over video. The length of time varies by grade-level.
Step 4: Review by the Admissions team.
For applicants to the early childhood programs, the admissions team looks at applicants' areas of development in communication, gross and fine motor skills, social-emotional development, emotional regulation, cognitive development, and self-care. For applicants to Elementary and Secondary, the admissions team looks at students' demonstration of academic abilities, language fluency, character and citizenship qualities, potential to contribute to the mission of CFIS, and executive functioning strategies enabling them to be successful learners at our school.
After all documentation, observations, and assessment results are reviewed by the CFIS admissions team, the enrolment office notifies families of decisions made regarding the application. Enrolment decisions are based on the entirety of the applicant file. All enrolment decisions are final.
Please note, the application process is not intended to suggest a diagnosis of child development or be a long-term predictor of success. As such, detailed feedback is not provided to parents following the enrolment team's decision.
We look forward to meeting you!