Calgary French & International School (CFIS) is pleased to welcome new students and their families to the CFIS community each year.
Click here to book a virtual information session with our Admissions team, or request more information.
In our entry-level grades, Preschool, Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten, no previous experience in French is required.
For students entering Grade 1, and for intake up to Grade 12, all applicants must be attending a francophone or French immersion school setting or be native French speakers, to make an application to attend CFIS.
CFIS Preschool and Junior Kindergarten programs are licensed under the Alberta Childcare Licensing Act. The new Canada–Alberta Early Learning and Child Care Agreement, announced in November 2021, applies to CFIS preschool and junior kindergarten students. This means that families with preschool and JK-aged children can be part of CFIS' play-based, emergent curriculum at reduced tuition rates and while they learn French.
Application dates for the 2022-23 school year
All applications received prior to the application deadline will be given equal consideration, regardless of the timing of their receipt. We are excited to receive your application, and ask that you apply only in the appropriate year, not sooner.
Below are the application deadlines, including when all required documents are to be submitted. For inquiries after the application deadline for the upcoming school year, please email email@example.com. We would be happy to confirm availability in your grade(s) of interest, and share more about our application and admissions process.
Preschool (for students who are 3 years of age by December 31, 2022)
- Application deadline: February 9, 2022
- Assessment: March 1 or March 3, 2022
Junior Kindergarten (for students who are 4 years of age by December 31, 2022)
- Application deadline: November 24, 2021
- Assessment: November 30 or December 2, 2021
Kindergarten (for students who are 5 years of age by December 31, 2022)
- Application deadline: November 24, 2021
- Assessment: Taking place the week of December 6, 2021
Grades 1 - 12
- Application deadline: February 23, 2022
- Assessment: Scheduled for after this date, upon receipt of a completed application
Our application process is intended to find a mutually good fit between families, students, and the school. CFIS considers a prospective student’s academic record, character, and citizenship qualities when assessing a good fit. CFIS families are committed to French immersion education, and enjoy being part of, and contributing to the school community.
The process varies at different levels but starts with the submission of a completed application that includes:
- Application form and non-refundable application fee of $275
In the application portal
- Upload recent head-and-shoulders photograph.
- Upload copy of birth certificate or passport.
- Upload relevant medical or educational reports, such as psycho-educational assessments, speech-language therapy reports, or occupational therapy reports.
- Enter the email address of a non-family member referee that has worked with your child. A confidential questionnaire reference form is emailed to the referee to complete by the application deadline.
- Preschool, JK, and Kindergarten applicants: Complete the early childhood development form. Parents are invited to share insights into their child's development by also completing the comment sections.
- Applicants to Grade 1 and higher: Upload French immersion or francophone school report cards. At minimum this includes the last full year report card as well as the current mid-year report card.
- Applicants to Grade 3 and higher: Student completes an applicant questionnaire in French and English.
A key part of the admissions process includes getting to know your child. Applicants may be invited to participate in an age-appropriate and grade-level evaluation, and an interview with CFIS faculty.
After all documentation, observations, and assessment results are reviewed by the CFIS admissions team, the enrolment office notifies families of decisions made regarding the application. Enrolment decisions are based on the entirety of the applicant file. All enrolment decisions are final.
Please note, the application process is not intended to suggest a diagnosis of child development or be a long-term predictor of success. As such, detailed feedback is not provided to parents following the enrolment team's decision.
We are excited to meet your family, and invite you to learn more about CFIS as your child's potential educational home. Click here to learn more about our school community!
To start the application process, click to visit our Admissions & Enrolment portal.
Preschool at CFIS is a play-based program where students begin to acquire French-language skills, in either full-day or half-day morning classes. It is an educationally-based program that is licensed under the Alberta Childcare Licensing Act. To attend preschool at CFIS, students must be 3 years old by December 31 of that school year and fully toilet trained. Please note that while a placement may be secured for the entire year, a student may only begin attending after their 3rd birthday.
To attend Junior Kindergarten at CFIS, students must be four years old by December 31 of that school year, and need not have any French-language skills. Similar to CFIS Preschool programming, our Junior Kindergarten classes are offered for full days and half-day mornings, and are licensed under the Alberta Childcare Licensing Act. Junior Kindergarten at CFIS is an enriched program that prepares students for success in our full French immersion Kindergarten classes.
To attend Kindergarten at CFIS, students must be five years old by December 31 of that school year, and need not have any French-language skills. The program is full-day only, offering our students opportunities for academic instruction balanced with exploration and play. This French immersion experience enables students to build their language and confidence to move into our full French immersion Elementary classes.
Grades 1 - 12
At CFIS, all subjects are taught in French and students function fully in French. The pedagogical approaches, intensity and exposure to French, and time in the program to graduation year leads students to be fluent and proficient in French. With English beginning in Grade 3 and Spanish beginning in Grade 4, CFIS graduates have impressive abilities in all three languages, as demonstrated by their internationally-recognized certifications. To attend Grades 1 through 12 at CFIS, students must be currently attending a French immersion or francophone school, or be native French-language speakers.
If you have any questions, we are here to help! Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!